Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Present: A Gift From Our Past



What touches and moves you deeply? When you think of making a list of things you're grateful for, what comes to mind?  Who and what would be on it? Why?


I keep a miniature  "Remember" journal that I'll write in once in a while. But I'm always looking at my life and seeing the blessings in it. Am I always in the attitude of gratitude? 


Yes, in one form or another.

Have you ever thought about how blessed you are that you even exist? That no matter how much or how little you were loved by your parents, you have parents who gave you life. 


We cannot be unborn.
 But our gratitude for that gift can change the quality of our life.

Ponder these things for a minute with me:


  • You ARE because they WERE first.
  • You were born.
  • Where and how you were born offers you unique opportunities.
  • You were cared for sufficiently to still be alive today.
  • Numerous people have contributed to your emotional, physical, and spiritual well-being.


The same goes for each of your parents.


And your grandparents.


And your great grandparents, and on down the line...


When I stop and think about how today really is not only 


the present,


but A present...


I can't help but be grateful to everyone who made that possible for me. To my friends, family, and especially my ancestors who are listening,


Thank you for:

  • choosing to live
  • choosing to give life
  • choosing to nurture, encourage, and inspire me.
But most of all, thank you for choosing me to be a part of your family, and your circle of friends.

I'm wondering if among all the things we have to be grateful for, the people who made it all possible are the most overlooked?

How do I show gratitude to the past and the present? 

I study people's lives and allow them and their influence to permeate my day. To teach, nurture and inspire me as if they were here.

Today I'm grateful for family and friends
 past, present and future.











4 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving Betsy!
    I'm grateful I found you and your beautiful site!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lori! I'm so happy we're friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK so I got here after Thanksgiving but your post is still perfect as living in an attitude of gratitude is something we must do all day, every day.

    Then as you say "our gratitude for that gift can change the quality of our life." and it does, no doubt about it!

    Thank you for sharing your beautiful insights Besty.

    ~Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by Marcus! We are in the midst of packing and moving on Thursday. My posts have been very thin and brief! I appreciate your comment.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I'd love to know.