Sunday, June 26, 2011

She Says It's Impossible

I met a woman today and asked her if she was from India. She told me she was. I've never helped anyone with Indian ancestry, but I'm seeing a large population of Indians here and wondered how difficult it was to research and document her ancestors' histories. She said it was impossible. Why? I asked. Because her husband's last name, for instance, is the same as his father's first name. And that pattern, she said goes back as far as she knows.

So, has anyone helped anyone with their search through their Indian ancestry? I've Googled some questions and it seems that there ARE a lot of resources. Maybe she never tried? Maybe, like so many people, the task to start is overwhelming?

Can you let me know what you've done? And where and when do the potential problems set in?

Thanks a bunch.

Betsy