Sunday, September 25, 2011

Eyes: The Window to the Soul

"The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light" Matt.6:22-23

Carl Kenneth Carlson, aka my Grandpa Ken

Do you see the resemblance between Grandpa Ken and his great grandson, Connor, my son? I see more than the physical similarities. I see a gleam in the eyes that screams of an adventurous spirit. There is a shared moment here in these two photos that says,"Life is sweet! The possibilities are endless. I'm happy!"

Connor  one and 1/2  years ago, age 11

I was strengthened when I stumbled across these pictures yesterday. I couldn't help but think that there is something that Grandpa Ken and Connor share.

That "joie de vivre" that is captured in a snapshot. 

Both have their life ahead of them. As I sift through more photos of Ken, I'll look at his eyes. They will tell me how he feels life is treating him. Connor's story is still unfolding. His pictures are starting to show the strain of adolescence.

What do my pictures say about me?

 And you?  Do they tell the true story?

Eyes never lie. They truly are the window to the soul. 

When we forget the power that a point of view, (our attitude) has on a life, we miss the opportunity to choose happiness in the midst of "troubled waters". 

Don't forget that deep inside you are happy!

Find that spot today.

Smile

10 comments:

  1. What a great post, and a great message. It has made me think. As I pack up or unpack I will keep an eye out for photographs to pause and look at.
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you my new and far away friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, lovely post Betsy!! Wow!! The similarities between your son and Grandpa Ken are uncanny - same smiles and twinkly eyes!! How magical!

    Eyes are the storyboard for sure! I think that's why we value eye contact and are weary of shifty eyes or lack of contact, because it reveals all.

    P.S. - One of my favorite sayings is, "Life is sweet"! Indeed it is my friend, indeed it is!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Elena! Can you believe how much they resemble each other? I showed Connor the pictures side-by-side last night. He said he hates his picture!! Thank goodness he doesn't read this blog! Have a great day Elena. And I KNOW you'll smile!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a happy spot inside and fortunately I'm able to find it many, many more times than not. Life has not worn me down and hopefully my face shows that I have been blessed.

    There is certainly an uncanny resemblance in the photos; that is pretty cool.

    Thanks for sharing this post and hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's cool, Bill! I don't think anything could get you down for long!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Betsy, aloha. So appreciate the warmth and your unique perspective that comes through in your posts.

    No doubt about it, Connor has a gleam in his eye. What a handsome young man he is; you must be so proud of him.

    So love your ending 3 lines. Thank you. Until next time, aloha. Janet

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Janet! I love my Connor! And you make me smile, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Don't forget that deep inside you are happy." I love that Betsy!
    And I do see a lot of resemblance between Connor and his great granddad! Wow!
    What do my pictures say about me - what a great question. Considering that pictures is some of what we leave behind....Smile!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lori! How could it not be true that we don't start off any way BUT happy? I'm a different person after marriage, children, and learning how to manage adult responsibilities! Now it's my privilege to CHOOSE how I want to see the world and how all of its goings-on affect me. When I look at these two pictures I maybe falsely) see innocence...?

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I'd love to know.